Back to News
17 March 2020
Wisbech Museum closed to public until further notice due to Covid-19
Public access to Wisbech and Fenland Museum was stopped today until May 5 at the soonest.
All volunteers and students have also been told to stay away, leaving paid staff only to continue their non-contact work both inside the building and remotely from home.
All programmed events have been cancelled up to May 5.
Curator Robert Bell said: “We have a duty of care to our volunteers, a number of whom are on the at risk list, so we want to make sure we're not exposing any of them to catching Covid-19 while working here or on outreach projects.
“All volunteers have therefore been told they won't be working here or on outreach until further notice. It's regrettable for everyone but volunteers' safety is paramount.”
For the time being, work will continue on making the room dedicated to major Victorian donor the Rev Chauncey Hare Townshend and its valuable display accessible once the museum re-opens.
The room was closed last year after a section of ceiling came down – but construction of a safe walkway is ongoing and hopefully will be completed in time.
Also continuing and adapting to the new situation with Covid-19 as it develops is work on the Museum's two main grant-aided projects: Articles for Change, to do with the Thomas Clarkson abolitionists' collection; and Sharing Cultures, which aims to work with the diverse community of the Fens, bringing people together.
Share this article
Most recent news
Supporting the museum
To maintain and grow our collections we need your contributions, please support us by donating today.